Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rachael's Coleslaw

This recipe was born when I tried to copy a salad I purchased. I have changed the dressing may times. This seems to be the best combination of ingredients for a light, flavorful dish. I make this at least weekly. My son has it for lunch and we bring it to the office to eat throughout the day.
Combine:

1 head of coarsely chopped Green Cabbage (standard or Napa)

2 or 3 grated carrots

1 bunch of finely chopped cilantro

sesame seeds (however many look right to you)

Dressing:

1 generous tablespoon Miso (young and older palates like light yellow)

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 tsp olive oil

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

Juice of 1.5 limes

finely grated ginger



The dressing measurements are starting points. My 'measuring device' is a tablespoon I pull from the flatware drawer. I use it primarily to scoop, then push the miso against the side of the lidded mixing cup. I eyeball all the liquids. Here's what I generally end up doing:

I am heavy handed with the miso

The sesame oil is strong. I like that flavor so am eager to use it if I make the dressing too acidic

I rarely use more than a bit of olive oil

I use at least the written amount of rice vinegar: it seems to balance the density of the sesame oil

I generally add the two full limes. I add more miso if the consistency is too runny

I peel and freeze all my ginger. I do not thaw it before grating. I use a full 'stub' of ginger.... maybe more

Vigorously shaking the dressing works better than stirring

It should appear a bit thick and taste more of miso. Once it is mixed into the salad, it will not be strong tasting. Napa cabbage 'takes' the dressing very well. Give the salad a bit more time to sit with the standard green cabbage. No matter which variety of lettuce, this salad will hold up well a few days with the dressing on it.